Software Engineer (Instrument Drivers)
Artel is expanding the set of instruments supported by our software platform to include future Artel instruments, 3rd party instruments, and accessory devices. Our ideal candidate will have the skillset necessary to interface with firmware engineers, read communication protocol documentation, develop desktop software drivers for these devices, and work with platform software engineers to integrate these drivers into the overall system architecture.
As part of the Artel family, you will see how Artel strives to create a work environment that motivates and inspires all of our employees to be the best they can be, and to achieve personally meaningful goals which make a difference to the world and of which they can be proud. Employees rate the company culture, team spirit and support of career opportunities as key ingredients in their professional growth and personal job satisfaction.
- This position requires in-depth knowledge of, and experience with, writing desktop software drivers or adapters to control scientific instruments or medical devices via USB Serial protocols. Bluetooth and TCP/IP experience is a significant plus.
- Maintain instrument state and develop lower-level workflows within an instrument driver, and interface with remote software platform engineers to integrate these drivers into higher-level workflow adapters for the platform. The ability to rapidly develop an understanding of Artel’s current product line is a must.
- Take ownership of existing instrument drivers to add additional capabilities as needed to existing products.
- Act as an escalation point for our software product support engineers and field team for troubleshooting customer-reported issues.
- Develop instrument emulators for test, development, support, and sales teams to use when physical instrument access may be impractical.
- Continually strive to expand intellectual knowledge of scientific and technological advances, especially in all fields related to Artel’s core technologies or perceived future technologies.
- Document product designs through communication specifications, flowcharts, oral presentations, written product descriptions, design descriptions, troubleshooting guides, etc.
- Bring innovation to all aspects of work.
- Improve the performance, ease of use, and robustness of Artel instruments and systems by proposing, developing, and implementing enhancements in concept, design, user interface, manufacture, and software.
- High degree of personal accountability and integrity.
- A strong work ethic, attention to detail, and the ability to adapt to changing conditions.
- Ability to effectively work both alone and as a team member to bring a project to a successful conclusion.
- Superior interpersonal, organizational, time management, analytical and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- A high degree of professionalism, comportment appropriate to being an Artel ambassador to its customers.
- Superior information technology skills (desktop applications, Microsoft Office, analytics).
- Experience working directly with firmware engineers and platform software engineers
- Expertise in developing instrument control software in .NET, including:
- Significant experience working with serial communication in C#
- Superior software programming and architecture skills
- Ability to quickly absorb command spec documentation from a variety of manufacturers
- Experience incorporating object-oriented design principals into driver development for quickly creating drivers for related families of instruments
- Experience using serial port monitoring tools, network protocol analyzers, and terminal emulators
- Experience working both with in-house and remote development teams.
- Experience working with New Product Development and Change Process Engineering procedures, requirements analysis, design, and verification
- Experience with revision control using Git, issue and task management tools (preferably Atlassian JIRA), and Engineering Change Notice/Order processes.
- Familiarity with life science lab equipment, liquid handling systems, regulated lab environments, etc. is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems is strongly preferred
Education & Professional Experience
- B.S. in Electrical/Electronic/Software/Computer Engineering (or equivalent technology degree).
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in developing modules which communicate with scientific instruments, lab equipment, or medical devices.