Laboratory Applications Scientist
To support the expanded application of Artel technology and continued growth of our customer base throughout the country, we are adding a Laboratory Applications Specialist to our Technical Services team. This elite group leads the industry in solving liquid handling process and assay issues critical to laboratory productivity and the data integrity of test results. In this position, you will work closely with our customer laboratories using both automated and manual liquid handling instrumentation. You will team up with RD&E and Sales/Marketing to support Artel products and apply new applications. You will also deliver the newly ISO 17025 accredited Artel Liquid Handling Services – ranging from training laboratory technologists in liquid handling best practices (for pipettes and automated liquid handlers) to verification and optimization of customers’ automated liquid handler processes, working with virtually the full range of robotic platforms in the industry.
As part of the Artel family, you will see how Artel strives to create a work environment that motivates and inspires all of our employees to be the best they can be, and to achieve goals which are personally meaningful, which make a difference to the world, and of which they can be proud. Employees rate the company culture, team spirit and support of career opportunities as key elements to their professional growth and their personal job satisfaction.
- Contributing to the conception and development of new Artel product and service offerings, with primary focus on genomics labs, their assays, and processes
- Delivery of our customized liquid handler performance verification services using Artel technology.
- Interpreting and analyzing customer needs; collaborating with customers in exploring technology options and process solutions.
- Growing the Artel customer base by promoting use of Artel systems, services, and software to assist customers in achieving their goals and aspirations.
- Developing, and maintaining, exceptionally strong and sustainable customer relationships.
- Delivering product demonstrations and supporting product trials at customer sites.
- Performing Artel systems installations, validations, and training in the field.
- Educating customers on the proper usage of both automated liquid handling instrumentation and manual pipettes.
- Assisting customers with troubleshooting and optimizing their liquid handling instrumentation, processes, and assays.
- Supporting Artel trade shows, technical meetings, best practices workshops and market development programs.
- Writing application notes and educating customers on their application.
- All of U.S.
- Office: Artel headquarters in Westbrook, Maine.
- Travel: This position places a premium on exceptional customer relationships – hence travel may average over 50%.
Attributes & Skills:
- Proven capabilities in genomics or drug discovery laboratory and knowledge of their assays/protocols.
- Driven by attaining goals – both commercial and scientific – and by pro-actively crafting innovative solutions.
- Hands-on experience with liquid handling instrumentation (both automated liquid handlers and manual pipettes) and familiarity with associated processes and applications.
- Superior communication skills in speech and writing.
- Curiosity for continual learning about prospects, customers, and technology in life science laboratories.
- A passion for working, problem solving, prospecting, selling, and building long lasting commercial relationships.
- Ability to travel to customer sites, tradeshows, technical meetings, and to the Artel home office.
- Record of success in capacities where there is a premium on self-motivation, organization, multi-tasking, prioritization, and independent work.
Education & Professional Experience
- Graduate degree in laboratory sciences (MS, PhD)
- Minimum of three years of industry experience in a life science laboratory, preferably diagnostics or biopharmaceutical.
- Previous tenure with laboratory robotics company an asset.
- Experience with multiple automated liquid handling platforms desirable
- Experience in delivering technical services, or a record of success in technical sales desired.
- Consideration will be given to a candidate having a strong record of previous field service and/or application support experience, in lieu of graduate degree.
- Experience with audits, and familiarity with regulations and standards such as GMP, GLP, ISO and FDA.