Embedded Software & Electronics Engineer
Artel is looking for a skilled engineer who is a quick study in electronics design and embedded software control at the core level. Our ideal candidate will have the skillset necessary to bridge the interface between circuit board design, firmware controls, hardware and software for our various products.
As part of the Artel family, you will see how Artel strives to create a work environment that motivates and inspires all of our employees to be the best they can be, and to achieve goals which are personally meaningful, which make a difference to the world, and of which they can be proud. Employees rate the company culture, team spirit and support of career opportunities as key elements to their professional growth and their personal job satisfaction.
- This position requires in-depth knowledge and experience with the electrical electronic circuit design and the related embedded software architecture.
- Master the core operational design of the TM and PCS instruments, circuit board layout, firmware design, and interface with system software. The ability to rapidly develop an understanding Artel’s current product line is a must.
- Continually strive to expand intellectual knowledge of scientific and technological advances, especially in all fields related to Artel’s core technologies or perceived future technologies.
- Develop concepts for enhancements to current products, improved product manufacturing and testing, and new product design through interaction with internal team members, customer facing teams, and current and prospective customers.
- Carry out research and design new product ideas using knowledge of physics, electronics, optics, and software, and coordinate with persons from other disciplines to achieve optimal system design and integration.
- Document product designs through electrical, electronic and mechanical drawings, flowcharts, oral presentations, written product descriptions, design descriptions, troubleshooting guides, etc.
- Bring innovation to all aspects of work.
- Interact with purchasing, manufacturing, and technical personnel to achieve a smooth transition of products from design through production. Assist production to resolve technical issues as they arise.
- Interact with Artel technical support to resolve customer problems related to Artel instruments.
- Assume responsibility for all aspects of firmware development for Artel instruments, working in conjunction with the Platform Software Development team, RD&E Management, and the Quality Assurance department to ensure compliance with Artel standards.
- Assume responsibility for .NET assemblies for serial communication with instruments and instrument state management that are used by Artel’s instrument software platform
- Improve the performance, ease of use, and robustness of Artel instruments and systems by proposing, developing, and implementing enhancements in concept, design, user interface, manufacture, and software.
- High degree of personal accountability and integrity.
- A strong work ethic, attention to detail, and the ability to adapt to changing conditions.
- Ability to effectively work both alone and as a team member to bring a project to a successful conclusion.
- Superior interpersonal, organizational, time management, analytical and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- A high degree of professionalism, comportment appropriate to being an Artel ambassador to its customers.
- Superior information technology skills (desktop applications, Microsoft Office, analytics).
- Expertise in electronic circuit design, and electro-opto-mechanical systems.
- Experience with programmable logic design using Hardware Description Languages (Verilog, VHDL)
- Experience with IoT device development, ARM-based SoCs, FPGA IP Cores, and Board Support Packages
- Superior software programming skills (C, C++) in Real Time and Near-Real Time systems.
- Familiarity with Microsoft .NET Framework development (C#, C++/CLI)
- Experience in working directly with and managing outside design groups.
- Experience with revision control using Git, issue and task management tools (preferably Atlassian JIRA), and Engineering Change Notice/Order processes
- Familiarity with life science lab equipment, liquid handling systems, regulated lab environments, etc. is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance to UL, TUV, ISO, etc., is strongly preferred.
Education and Experience
- B.S. in Electrical/Electronics/Software/Computer Engineering (or equivalent technology degree).
- 3 to 5 years’ experience (preferably related to software controls and/or instrument design).