Software Support Engineer (Application, SQL, Windows)
Thousands of life sciences laboratories worldwide depend on Artel technology to ensure the integrity of their test results. By providing powerful instrument-based systems and specifically targeted services, we are making it possible for laboratories in drug discovery & development, clinical diagnostics, forensics, genomics & proteomics, and other laboratories running critical test procedures to have total confidence in their results – while maintaining compliance and optimizing productivity.
Artel is the global technology leader in ultra-low volume liquid measurement and liquid handling quality assurance. Artel calibration and verification systems are unsurpassed for accuracy, precision, and ease of use. These products utilize Artel proprietary technology to ensure and optimize the performance of laboratory instrumentation such as automated liquid handlers and handheld pipettes. Artel value-added services, based on Artel technology and the most rigorous in the industry, are key ingredients for our customers in their quest to optimize laboratory productivity, compliance, and quality.
Artel’s people – through their innovation in technology and their focus on helping our customers tackle their most critical challenges – are making significant contributions to the speed of development of new pharmaceutical products, the dependability of clinical diagnostic results, the accuracy of forensic tests, and the containment of health care costs. We are fortunate to be involved in an exciting, growing, and challenging field – and are gratified that our world-class efforts have put us in a leadership position.
To support the expanded application of Artel technology and continued growth of our customer base throughout the country, we are adding a Software Support Engineer. This is an opportunity to be part of a team that is pre-eminent in the life science lab industry – in providing and supporting innovative technology to leading laboratory customers who insist on the integrity of all their laboratory test results. You will learn and apply the technologies critical to high accuracy and precision laboratory liquid handling, exercise your ability to develop and communicate solutions to problems under challenging conditions, gain exposure to a wide variety of laboratories, and earn the satisfaction of helping customers who are running critical assays gain confidence in the quality and efficiency of their assays, methods, instrumentation and techniques. In addition, you will play a large contributing role in launching a new hardware and software product to our customers and new prospects by the end of this year.
As part of the Artel family, you will see how Artel strives to create a work environment that motivates and inspires all our employees to be the best they can be, and to achieve personally meaningful goals which make a difference to the world and of which they can be proud. Employees rate the company culture, team spirit and support of career opportunities as key ingredients in their professional growth and personal job satisfaction.
The new addition to our Technical Services team will be challenged with a multi-faceted set of activities, and must be organized, flexible, energetic, motivated, and insightful. An understanding, familiarity, and proven facility with SQL Server and Windows based applications support are the foundation for this position; exceptional communications and relationship building skills – the quality which sets the Artel team apart from our peers in this industry – are the hallmarks of an Artel Software Support Engineer.
You will be depended upon to provide advanced remote technical support for our n-tier on-premise software platform backed by Microsoft SQL Server, both directly with customers via phone, email, and remote meetings. You will also be acting as field support for our team performing on-site Installation Qualification and Operational Qualification of our instruments and liquid handling software applications. Technical support and issue resolution calls will be escalated to you from end-users, customer IT departments, and other Technical Services team members. Typical escalated calls may include supporting DB server migration, communication issues either with SQL Server or an instrument, and field team members experiencing permissions related issues while installing the application or database.
You will also need to build expertise in the operation of our next generation software to answer advanced usage questions for the application’s scheduling, reporting, and calibration capabilities.
The successful candidate will be acting as a bridge between our Technical Services team and the Product Development team. The development team will be relying on you to provide escalated case updates, trends, and Design for Supportability requirements for future revisions of the platform and new product development.
Frequent travel is not expected for this position (0-10%). Support after and before normal work hours is occasionally needed to triage and assist international customers and distributors.
- A high degree of personal accountability and integrity.
- Superior work ethic, self-motivation, ability to prioritize, multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to support SQL Server installation, configuration, maintenance, and administration issues remotely including guiding customers through using SSMS.
- Ability to handle Windows environment related issues for installation, permissions, application services, and driver installation.
- Understanding of and experience with Active Directory, SMTP, Windows and 3rd party firewalls, antivirus exception rules, and Windows security policy management.
- Experience with configuring serial devices for communication and troubleshooting USB device drivers (printers, barcode scanners, etc).
- Comfort parsing highly detailed log and trace files to find root cause.
- Familiarity with bug tracking and ticketing tools, ideally JIRA.
- Experience writing technical instructions for and training other support team members, customer IT resources, and end users.
- Comfort and capability with information technology (MS Office, SalesForce, or other CRM, Cloudsuite or other ERP); laboratory informatics skills a plus.
- Familiarity with regulations and standards including GMP, GLP, ISO; capability to operate in a regulated customer environment.
- Skills and speed in problem solving, troubleshooting, and replicating customer reported issues, including building virtual machines to replicate customer environments.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills in speech and writing.
- A high degree of professionalism, comportment appropriate to being an Artel ambassador to our customers.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. without the need for employer sponsorship.
Education and Professional Experience
- Undergraduate degree in the sciences, completed with superior academic results. (Consideration will be applied to a candidate having a strong record of previous SQL Server and Windows based application technical support experience, in lieu of degree.)
- 5+ years of supporting a commercially available on-premise software platform through multiple releases.
- 3+ years of experience in supporting SQL Server issues such as establishing database connectivity in complex network topography, backup, restoration, and custom queries for diagnosing issues.